Re: Keepn' My Cool !!!

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com (john & patricia donnelly), triumphs@autox.team.net ("Triumphs Email List (E-mail)")
Subject: Re: Keepn' My Cool !!!
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:01:15 -0400
In a message dated 10/21/2002 9:37:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, john & patricia
donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com> writes:

>So, what's the best way to keep my cool?

>Is it Prestone in mega doses?  Phosphate or non?  1/2 or more?

I think there is a maximum recommended mix ratio of any antifreeze to water,
maybe something like 70%. 50/50 usually seems to work best, and antifreeze
alone is not really a very good coolant.

>Is Redline's "Wetter" any good?

Lots of folks seem to think so.

>Should I look into a new radiator?

Why? Do you suspect yours is bad? If it's not profusely leaking and/or the
cooling fins aren't crumbling and falling off, at worst it might benefit from a
thorough boiling out and possibly "rodding out" by a good radiator shop.

>How about the yellow eight blade fan?  Charles had some on sale at Triumphest,
>is it worth it?

Maybe, but... (and I'll get to my point in a minute; promise)

>Is the radiator duct really needed? Which one is best? (The cardboard ones
>seem to fold at slightest moisture).

Yes, the ducts/shrouds are good to have, although possibly not ABSOLUTELY
essential. They do tend to direct the air through the radiator, whereas
otherwise it can easily go over/under/around and not help you.

>Should I install some sort of port to help the "backflush"? Where? What
>pressure is needed to backflush?

I've never found too much value in the "reverse flush" kits. In my own
experience, they don't seem to help if there's already sufficient
silt/crud/garp buildup to cause flow problems.

>So many questions..... I'm confused.........Give me wisdom.

Best wisdom I can give is to make sure, best you can, that the coolant is
flowing well through the block and not just the radiator. So even if you got
what looked to be a decent and clear flow out of the block drain, there might
still be lots of that silt/crud/garp in there. It's now routine for me to probe
around in the block drain with a stiff wire or small screwdriver. However good
the flow might have been, chances are you'll see it improve greatly when you do
this.

At risk of repeating myself to some of you, my Herald ran hot  (needle just shy
of being "pegged") all the way from NY to MN this past summer on my way to the
VTR Convention. With ambient temps in the 90s, I wasn't terribly surprised.
However, while in MN I took the opportunity (at the free car wash setup
provided by the host club and the resort) to thoroughly flush the system,
including the aforementioned probing. Problem solved, and the needle never went
beyond the half-way point on the gauge from that point forward, including the
trip back to NY in the same 90+ ambient temperatures.

--Andy Mace