RE: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:16:37 -0700
> That's how your post reads.  The damper oil is supposed to be added
> until "using the damper as a dipstick its threaded plug is
> approximately 1/4"
> above the dashpots when resistance is felt" (Practical Hints for the
> maintenance of the Triumph TR3).

Interesting.  That text only appeared in the later editions of Practical
Hints, the earlier ones said to fill "to the level of the hollow inner
shaft", which is a fair amount higher.  That of course is slightly
overfilling, the damper will displace enough oil to raise the level above
the inner shaft.  It's always been my belief that this was deliberate, the
excess oil will slowly run down between the shaft and chamber, lubricating
the bushing.  I guess the factory got tired of people complaining that the
carbs wouldn't stay full ...

In any case, if you do overfill them even to the top, the excess oil will
run out the vent hole.

Randall