Re: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:33:51 -0400
Cc: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall:

Solved the problem tonight.  The rear SU carb body that came with the
3 was broken (the eye hole for the choke arm was snapped off), so I had
gotten a replacement from a friend with too many TR3 parts.  Anyway,
I got thinking and removed the piston from the rear carb and took
it down to the basement work bench.  I cleaned out all of the oil with
brake cleaner to make sure there was nothing in the shaft that might
be catching on the damper barrel.  Nothing there.  Tried to dry fit
the damper (dip stick as I prefer calling it), and low and behold, it
would not fit.  Clearly the barrel was catching up on the sides of the
shaft. So, I dug out the original carb and removed the piston. I
checked the numbering and they both had AUC 3284 stamped on the ledge
but the one I was using had PCD 2 while the one from the original
carb had PDC 1 stamped on the piston.  Tried a dry fit of the
stick and it went in with no problems.  Took the piston out to the
garage and cleaned it up with glass beads in the cabinet.  Give it
a final rinsing with brake cleaner and installed the new needle I had
on the other piston.  Went back to the garage, dry fitting went well
with the needle still showing it was centered.  Inserted the oil and
then the stick and problem was solved!  Glad I could end my Sunday
night knowing this is now working.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Scott