RE: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 SU Carb Damper Oil
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:16:06 -0700
> Well, I installed the SU carbs yesterday and am running into a
> problem.  When I have the damper inserted but with no oil, the pistons
> move freely and respond with a clean "thud" when raised and released.
> But, when I had dashpot oil, it begins to show resistance (which is to
> expected on the upstroke, but not on the release).  My problem
> is that if I add oil per the manual's instructions, 1/2" below the top,
> the pistons will not move and when I pull up on the damper, it
> pulls the piston up with it and I must use reasonable force to separate
> the two (straight up pull before it releases).  If I remove some of the
> oil, this becomes less and less an issue, as more oil is removed.
> I am using Moss's damper oil, which is what I have used for years on the
> 6 with no problems.  The dampers are straight and true and the
> retaining clip is not extending beyond the cylinder.

I'm wondering if someone has had the circlip off, and reassembled the tip of
the plunger wrong.  There is an outer brass cylinder (the part that fits
snugly inside the shaft) that should be loose on the damper rod, and there
should be nothing between it and the clip.  It should be free to move about
1/16" between the clip and the washer above it.  The washer is not
symmetrical, the top of it has a cone shaped seat that should match the cone
shaped piece pressed onto the rod.  When the damper falls, the cylinder and
washer are pulled against the clip, leaving a gap at the top between the
washer and cone shaped piece.  The oil flows through that gap, inside the
cylinder, and out through the holes in the clip at the bottom.

As Dave suggests, it might just be crud in there too.  Pull it out and have
a look.

Randall