Re: GT6 Rear Suspension Problem

To: saffian@direcway.com ("Mark Saffian"), Triumphs@autox.team.net ("'Triumphs'")
Subject: Re: GT6 Rear Suspension Problem
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:15:55 -0400
In a message dated 10/15/2002 11:05:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Mark Saffian"
<saffian@direcway.com> writes:

>Can anyone suggest a cause for the following problem that I encountered
>this morning on my '73 GT6:
>
>I left the house and crawled down my semi-improved road to the highway.
>Nothing seemed wrong at this point.  When I turned onto the highway
>(65MPH limit) I accelerated briskly.  As soon as I hit the clutch for
>the 1st-2nd shift, the rear end of the car swayed noticeably.  Same
>thing at 2nd-3rd....
>The problem clearly seems to be related to the presence or absence of
>power to the rear wheels....
>
>Any suggestions are most welcome.

Mark, I suggest looking carefully at the area where the trailing arm mounts to
the body tub. I had a similar situation many years ago on my GT6; that area had
weakened greatly from rust, etc., and was allowing a good deal of fore and aft
movement of the axle assembly. What I felt then was the same thing you describe.

Good luck!

--Andy Mace