RE: GT6 Rear Suspension Problem

To: saffian@direcway.com
Subject: RE: GT6 Rear Suspension Problem
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:46:11 -0400 FILETIME=[017DFBD0:01C27512] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g9GCk9kJ007324
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I am assuming that you have the later swing spring MK3 and not the Rotoflex
setup.  It may be that you sheared the key in the hub allowing the hub to
spin.  This is the key that secures the hub to the axle shaft, and is
really the only thing preventing the hub from spinning (besides what little
friction the taper on the shaft and hub will have, and its not much not
being an interference fit).  This is not uncommon, having had it happen to
me on one occasion.  I managed to make it home but if not repaired quickly
it can and most likely will destroy the hub and axle mating surfaces (as it
did mine) and then both have to be replaced - in the worst case the axle
just spins, without driving the wheel -
<When I turned onto the highway
<(65MPH limit) I accelerated briskly. As soon as I hit the clutch for
<the 1st-2nd shift, the rear end of the car swayed noticeably.