GT6 Rear Suspension Problem

To: "'Triumphs'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Rear Suspension Problem
From: "Mark Saffian" <saffian@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:05:34 -0500
Can anyone suggest a cause for the following problem that I encountered
this morning on my '73 GT6:

I left the house and crawled down my semi-improved road to the highway.
Nothing seemed wrong at this point.  When I turned onto the highway
(65MPH limit) I accelerated briskly.  As soon as I hit the clutch for
the 1st-2nd shift, the rear end of the car swayed noticeably.  Same
thing at 2nd-3rd.  I turned around and crept home, expecting the read
axle to be loose enough to move, but there is no perceptible motion.
The problem clearly seems to be related to the presence or absence of
power to the rear wheels.

I'm afraid to do any more moving assessments and I am not sure what to
look for.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

TIA!

Mark Saffian
Farmersville, TX
'73 GT6   KF22412U