RE: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:05:57 -0700
> I have a cluch problem.The reservoir is full but
> oftentimes I have to pump the pedal several times in
> order to get enough pressure for the clutch to
> work.Then it works just fine for while.I do not have a
> leak in the system.I have bled the system and that
> eliminated the problem for a while but now it is back.
> My question is:
> I think I have either a bad master or a bad slave
> cylinder(right?)How can I tell which is the problem
> cylinder?
> Or could something else be wrong?

Roxy, I can't remember offhand when the change was, so this may not apply.
The earlier TRs used a return spring on the clutch slave, to be sure the
slave piston always returned to the stop.  Many people try to substitute a
different spring here, with the result that they do not always pull the
piston back (or the original may simply be broken).  Also, on the systems
that have the return spring, the pushrod on the clutch slave has to be
adjusted from time to time, as the clutch wears.  So, check it out, if your
car has the return spring, try replacing it with the correct spring
(available from the Big 3, TRF P/N is 106347) and adjusting the slave
cylinder.

If that doesn't help (or your car doesn't have the return spring), then the
most likely culprit is the spring inside the MC.  This seems to be an
increasingly common problem, I guess they've just reached the end of their
natural lifetimes <g>  I don't know if anyone has the original spring, but
Moss 582-065 will work here.  Might as well install new seals while you're
at it.

Randall