Re: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:44:02 EDT
Roxy,
if you had a slave cylinder leak it would be leaking on the ground whereas
you could have an internal leak with the master cylinder and not lose fluid.
The fluid resevoir feeds the pumping action of the master but only as long as
the mc 'one way valve' is ok. A small rubber cupped washer could be leaking
and reducing your pumping power by letting fluid seep back into resevoir
rather than being forced to slave during compression stroke. Installing the
$9 rebuild kit from Moss or TRF would probably fix it. I can't recommend
Victoria British for these parts though.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Hi,
I have a cluch problem.The reservoir is full but
oftentimes I have to pump the pedal several times in
order to get enough pressure for the clutch to
work.Then it works just fine for while.I do not have a
leak in the system.I have bled the system and that
eliminated the problem for a while but now it is back.
My question is:
I think I have either a bad master or a bad slave
cylinder(right?)How can I tell which is the problem
cylinder?
Or could something else be wrong?
Thanks
Roxy