Re: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Cluch hydraulic problem
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:45:02 +0100
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, at around 17:05:00 local time, Roxy McDaniel
<gimmeagig@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a cluch problem.The reservoir is full but
>oftentimes I have to pump the pedal several times in
>order to get enough pressure for the clutch to
>work.Then it works just fine for while.I do not have a
>leak in the system.I have bled the system and that
>eliminated the problem for a while but now it is back.
>My question is:
>I think I have either a bad master or a bad slave
>cylinder(right?)How can I tell which is the problem
>cylinder?
>Or could something else be wrong?

Dear Roxy,

I don't know anything about TR4s, but on the (possibly erroneous)
assumption that the clutch works in the same way as that on a 1500
Spitfire, I can say that, yes, something else could be wrong.   You
could have failed completely to bleed the system.

When I changed the master cylinder in Carly, I had exactly the same
problem, so I took it to my friendly local mechanic.   He used his
professional skills and equipment to bleed the clutch, and we still had
the problem.   We were able to rule out the master cylinder because it
was brand new, and the slave cylinder, because I had fitted a new one of
those a month before.   We eventually solved the problem by having me
sit in the driver's seat, pumping the clutch pedal like crazy, and
having him watching, and topping off, the reservoir as the bubbles came
through.   God knows how the air got in, or where it had been hiding,
but after about 200 firm pedal depressions, no more bubbles appeared in
the reservoir, and the clutch has operated perfectly ever since.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671