Re: [triumph_herald] Heralds, Master Cylinder swapping

To: vidaurre@rocketmail.com ("Javier Vidaurre Ch."), triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com (Herald Triumph), triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumph)
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Heralds, Master Cylinder swapping
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:42:20 -0400
In a message dated 10/15/2002 11:52:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Javier
Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com> writes:

>HHH,
>I removed the brake and clutch master cylinders and
>the pedals from Petunia the 1965 Herald Convertible to
>refurbish.  The idea is to take identical parts from
>Petunia, restore them and install them on Winston the
>1970 Herald Saloon and in that way I can restore two
>cars at the same time while retaining one as a daily
>driver.  Both Winston and Petunia have front disk
>brakes.  I have read that there were two variations of
>disk brakes on Heralds.

True. They roughly parallel the disk brakes on a Spitfire: Spitfire 4 and Mk2
-- and Herald 1200 -- would have used the Girling Type 12 caliper; and Spitfire
Mk3 and later -- and Herald 13/60 as far as I know -- used the Type 14 caliper.
The rotor is the same; otherwise, bits between the two types of calipers are
not interchangeable.

>Questions:
>Is there a difference in the Brake Master Cylinder
>specifications between these two front brake
>variations?
>Between 1965 and 1970 Heralds?
>Are they interchangeable?

Essentially, no. Probably not. Yes -- more or less. The important factor is the
size of the fluid reservoir, which should be larger on a disk-brake Herald than
on a drum-brake Herald. For drum-brake Heralds, clutch and brake master
cylinders are essentially identical in every way.

>The master cylinders from Petunia say "MADE IN
>AUSTRALIA".
>
>Are these original to Heralds?

Probably not, although they are a fairly common replacement part. Original
would have been Girling. Offhand I don't know if the Australian replacement
cylinders are completely interchangeable (same rebuild kit, for example) with
the Girling or not.

>Brake "Fluif"(it's contagious), DOT 3 or DOT 5 for
>LBC's?

I'll pretty much stay away from this debate; there are strong opinions on both
sides of the issue. I will say I greatly prefer Castrol GT/LMA fluid myself and
don't find the benefits of silicone fluid to be worth the expense, etc. But
others will argue as passionately FOR silicone. I don't know what is readily
available in Peru; I would try to at least stay with a good quality "name
brand" fluid if possible.

--Andy Mace