brake master cylinder leak

To: Doug Nicotera <dougnicotera@comcast.net>
Subject: brake master cylinder leak
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:55:20 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g9FGuJUu023470
Message text written by Doug Nicotera
>I'm looking for a tip on fixing up a leak in a NEW Girling brake master
cylinder for my 73 TR6.

I ordered the complete new part from one of the big three and installed it
and bled the sysem. From the get-go, there is a leak of fluid coming from
the seal between the reservoir and the cylinder itself. Sitting for a
couple of days didn't seem to help.

I called the vendor and they are sending a kit with new seals. The question
is this: should I just replace the seals and hope they work, or is there
some sort of goop, sealant, or whatever that I can use with the new seals
that might help as well?

<

Doug, there should be no requirement for sealant at this interface.  The
rubber seals should do all the sealing.  If you have a leak there then
either: A) the seals are old and dry and if that's the case the rest of the
rubber parts are old and dry and should be replaced as well, or B) the
reservoir itself is cracked and needs replacement.

I guess a third possibility is that the groove for the seal is machined too
deep and if that's the case the whole castign should be replaced.

No matter how I look at it, I would not be happy with a seal kit unless I
got a really good deal on the cylinder.

But that's just my opinion.

Good luck

Dave