Re: brake master cylinder leak

To: dougnicotera@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake master cylinder leak
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:37:31 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2002 8:22:37 PM EST, dougnicotera@comcast.net writes:

<< The question
 is this: should I just replace the seals and hope they work, or is there
 some sort of goop, sealant, or whatever that I can use with the new seals
 that might help as well? >>

Doug,

No goop or sealant is required for the seals between the reservoir and the
master cylinder body.  Cleanliness; however, is a big factor!  Make sure that
the master cyl body seal recesses are spotless.....I like to lightly moisten
the seals first with brake fluid then position them and snug down the
retaining screws on the reservoir.....be careful not to overtighten the
screws....."snug" should work fine assuming that the new reservoir isn't
warped and the seals are positioned correctly.

Good luck,

Chip

Chip Krout

1976 TR6 #CF57822U - one of the last 500 built - restoration stalled
temporarily
1970 Spitfire Mk3 #FDU78512L - enjoying the end of another great driving
season