Stubborn throttle

To: "Greg Schuett" <tr4boy@starstream.net>
Subject: Stubborn throttle
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:37:47 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g9EMcVUu032464
Message text written by "Greg Schuett"
>My 64 TR-4 had developed an odd habit that I'm trying to break.  The
effort to
initially open the throttle becomes harder as I drive it.  When I first
start
out, everything is normal, but within 30-45 minutes, the smooth transition
from idle to acceleration is gone replaced by an almost on-off switch
effect.
Very annoying, especially in in-town traffic...thoughts on what I might
check?
<

Greg, I'll bet your throttlw plates are sticking to the carburettor throat.
 This is the result of worn throttle shafts and setting the idle stop screw
too low to compensate.  The short term cure is to set the idle speed up so
that the throttles don't close down so much.  The longer term cure is to
rebush the throttle shafts.

Or you could get new carbs (for about double the money)

Dave