Pistons stuck in calipers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pistons stuck in calipers
From: "David Dressel" <daviddressel@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:58:18 -0500 FILETIME=[863D8950:01C270B0]
All:

I have a pair of calipers (those would be "C" in your Moss catalog) for my
TR4.  The pistons are rusted into the calipers.  So, I took the calipers
apart (despite dire warnings about torque settings from the "Caliper Tip" in
the Moss catalog) to see if I could ease the pistons out.  Have purchased
new pistons and complete rebuild kit.

Well, I've been soaking these things in Gunk penetrating oil now for three
weeks, and I can't get anything to budge.  This afternoon, I had an
inspiration:  drill a hole through opposite sides of the piston, then insert
steel rod through both holes, place caliper in a vise and beat hell out of
the rod to get it to turn and break the piston free.  Hurt my hand.

Is there a better way?  (Must be.)  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

D.

David Dressel
http://www.DLDcreations.com