Re: restoration delimma for original, unmolested TR6 - longish post

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: Re: restoration delimma for original, unmolested TR6 - longish post
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:06:59 -0500
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
I am planning on keeping the TR4 essentially stock.

I have one modified car, the Lotus.  It has been pretty-well hacked up, but
I have brought parts of the bodywork back to stock after removing myriad
scoops and the like..  Since the DPOs did not hack up the wheel arches, I
probably won't put flares on it.  Saying that, I am unlikely to every put
carpet in it and sure not tearing out the koa-wood dash to put in an
original one.  I'm allowing the visual impact of a lowered Europa to speak
for itself, nasty home paint job and all.

The TR4 is different.  This car is a survivor.  Largely unmolested.  A cheap
professional repaint a decade ago is not the greatest, but it is a "whole"
Triumph.  I even took out the Vicky Brit steering wheel and put in the
original which came to me in the trunk.  It just looks as if it belongs.

Even if I am not the guy to restore it, and even if it never gets restored,
this TR4 cries out to be left pretty-much as is.  The carpet is a
non-original red, but it looks period.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com