RE: Winter Storage

To: "'Patrick Bitton'" <pbitton@axess.com>, "'Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Winter Storage
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:32:09 -0400
Patrick,

I store 3 vehicles for the last 3 years in southern Ontario so I feel the
same pain as you :-) I do the following and never had a problem, but I am
sure there will some other opinions and flames to this but this works for
me.:

- Get "Sta-bil" fuel stabilizer from Cdn Tire and I put twice the
recommended amount in the tank.  Nearly full.  The sta-bil will help with
the condensation and the gas gelling issues.

- Change the oil & filter just before putting them in storage.

- Make sure the coolant is good and up to the -25degC temp range

- If you want put the car off the ground and lower the pressure in the
tires.  I have found that 4 concrete blocks with 2x4's to protect the frame
are stabile from the occasional knock of trying to walk by.  Rather than the
cheap axle stands, the blocks also spread the weight better and these cars
are so light.

- Disconnect the battery.  This can be brought in the house and stored in a
warm place.  Some say not to put the battery on a concrete slab directly due
to discharge.  I always put them on a couple of old wooden skid.  The kids
don't trip over them then.

- I put a couple of aluminum trays of Irish Spring soap in each of the cars.
One in the passenger area and one in the trunk.  This does two things, one
the car smells sooo fresh in the spring :-) More importantly, the rodents
stay out.  This may not be an issue if your garage is attached to the house,
mine isn't.

- Secure the car cover

- About once a month I take the appropriate battery out, remove the car
cover and start the cars.  Let them run for about 30 minutes to operating
temps.  Try all of the systems to make sure everything still works.  I have
found this exercises the battery and the engine.

- In the spring time check all of the fluids and change the oil before the
first major run of the new season.

- Remove the spark plugs to clean/inspect/replace/regap as needed.

- Look underneath for any new leaks... <g>

Hope the helps and I don't get many flames :-P

David A. Templeton
'59 TR3a - 9TS54226L ( "9" denotes the CDN import on year of mfr )
'74 Spitfire - FM10491L
Homepage
http://www.trandmustang.homestead.com

TR3a homepage