RE: Battery jumping?

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery jumping?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 04:58:45 -0700
> The car that is charged have the
> cable connection on the earth battery Post. The other end should be
> connected to the engine or frame of the car that needs the power. What
> is the list's input on this.

Cosmo, that is actually fairly good advice, although I personally don't
usually do it that way.  The connection to the engine/frame should be the
last connection made, in theory this keeps any possible sparks at the moment
of connection away from either battery.  The logic here is that car
batteries do, under some circumstances, emit an explosive mixture of gases
(hydrogen and oxygen).  Igniting that mixture can have some unpleasant
consequences.

I have had a car fire caused by igniting battery gasses, although the spark
wasn't caused by jumper cables but by a defective home-brew battery charger
under a closed hood (not on a LBC).

Randall