Battery Jumping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery Jumping
From: Shrack04@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:08:58 EDT
Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative.  The reason some people tell you
to hook up the Ground connection last on the car being jumped somewhere other
than on the battery is the possibility of hydrogen gas that is given off as a
battery charges could cause the battery to explode.  This will keep the
"spark" away for the hydrogen/battery.  I worked in a service station were a
friend blew up a battery used for jump starting,, that had been on the
charger (in a box).  He didn't turn off the charger which caused a spark and
was lucky he wasn't hurt, or,, Blinded by the acid.    I blow across the top
of the battery before making the final connection at the battery to eliminate
any hydrogen, and quickly make the final connection.   I'm not telling you
this is the best way, but I can't see, Grabbing some where else with the
jumper cables and having to "eat" through a painted surface to make contact,,
only to start a rust area.  I may just be lucky in my 40 years of jump
starting. My $.02,

Kent Shrack
RHD TR3a # 78,000+