TR Aerodynamics?

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Aerodynamics?
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:06:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hey, Everyone,

coming out of lurk mode with a question that spun out of a recent post
regarding driving old TRs well in excess of the legal limit.

Recently I was driving on the beatiful stretch of coastal highway between
Santa Barbara and Ventura early in the morning with very light traffic,
and I was going along at what I consider a good clip for my TR....around
80mph with O\D in.

And it was then that I began thinking of TR aerodynamics.

An oxymoron, perhaps, but I've never realy perceived any front-end lift
with my TR 4. Or any other aerodynamic influence on steering or traction
for that matter, but I've only had a few brief excursions in excess of
80mph. Not interested in going that fast on the streets anymore I guess.

I know racers take these things up 90-120+ mph. For those of you in the
know, what habits good or bad does the brick-like TR 4 have at those
higher speeds?

Do those 'wing vents' as found on the factory works cars significantly
reduce lift, or is that more for cooling?

Does running a front spoiler down to the ground in the front help a lot?

C'mon Uncle Jack, what's the scoop?

-jeffrey