Re: TR Aerodynamics?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR Aerodynamics?
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:09:46 +0100
>I know racers take these things up 90-120+ mph. For those of you in the
>know, what habits good or bad does the brick-like TR 4 have at those
>higher speeds?

Some of the quicker TRs racing here will pull 130+ MPH and they run without
aerodynamic aids - but that's because we mainly run to very strict racing regs
that seriously limit modifications

I doubt I've got over 110 MPH on a track so far but can say that there doesn't
seem to be any perceptible lift at the front end at those speeds

>Do those 'wing vents' as found on the factory works cars significantly
>reduce lift, or is that more for cooling?

I think they're entirely for cooling. The TR4 engine kicks out a lot of heat
and the airflow seems to stall in the underbonnet area. The FIA cars run wing
ducts and some of the series allow the trailing edge of the bonnet (hood) to be
raised to allow hot air to escape

>Does running a front spoiler down to the ground in the front help a lot?

Don't know about the aerodynamics, but I'd vote aginst it on aesthetic
grounds...

I'd love to try a fully faired-in flat bottom to the car - maybe with a venturi
under the boot floor...

Nick Froome
http:///www.bolide.co.uk