RE: [triumph_herald] Herald shopping, starting, question & tips

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [triumph_herald] Herald shopping, starting, question & tips
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:24:12 -0700
> Tomorrow I will be test driving a 1968 Herald Saloon
> 1200 that is for sale.

Sounds like fun !  Good luck ...

> Haynes says negative earth, Post 1967 1200 & 13/60.
> The car has it's Lucas dynamo. With no battery in the
> car for reference how do I verify this as a Neg. Gnd
> car? Cable color?

It's so easy to switch (and the car will run either way if it hasn't had any
electronics added), that it's difficult to be certain.  Probably the best
check is to look at how the ignition coil is wired.  If the "-" or "SW"
terminal goes to the dizzy, the car is wired negative ground, and vice
versa.

Another test is to look at the battery connectors, the positive post is a
larger diameter than the negative post.

> If it turns out to be a Pos. Gnd car how do you
> jump/boost start the car from a Neg. Gnd car (1996
> Toyota Tercel)?

Connect your cables as usual, Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg.  Just be sure not
to let any other metal parts (bumpers, doors, etc.) touch !

Randall