Re: New Spit in My Garage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Spit in My Garage
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:22:32 -0400
I'l try taking a shot at this one...

On 7 Oct 2002 at 12:07, dwillner@icontech.com wrote:
> Just purchased a 1980 Spitfire (mfg Dec 1979)(USA, non-CA)

Congrats!  You need to know about The Roadster Factory and Spitbits
(www.spitbits.com).

> - Speedo cable is the "long" one piece version that goes directly
> from the gauge to the gearbox, right, or do I have the 2 piece?

Can't say for sure but the "long" one isn't all that long.  If you
can see it loop out from the back of the firewall behind the dash and
disappear back under the tranny tunnel along the top of the tranny,
then you have the one-piece.  The whole idea behind the 2-piece drive
was that it turned a mileage counter that would light up a "Service"
light on the dashboard after so many miles.  You really don't need
that unit, so you might check with Spitbits and ask if the 1-piece
cable will fit instead.  I'd guess it will.

> - Temperature gauge is not reading, not sure of other remedies
> other than the gauge, maybe wires?

Could be the sender, could be the wiring.  The sender it on the right
side of the engine below the radiator cap.  The wire runs across the
left side of the engine and across the front.  Often the terminal at
the end gets corroded or broken.  Watch what happens to the gauge if
you simple ground that end of the cable (wit the ignition turned on
but the engine not necessarily running).  If it starts indicating
high temp, then the gauge and wiring are fine, and your sender is
broken.  They are cheap and easy to replace.

> - The left rear wheel has the "typical" slight tilt inward at the
> top, not too bad, this is due to the "tired" leaf spring? Complex?,
> afternoon project?

Not so easy but not impossible.  It is supposed to have some negative
camber (tilt in at the top).  It may be asymetric because of the
driver's weight on the left.  Most of the roll stiffness comes from
the front in the Mk IV and 1500 Spitfires, so you should first look
at the front suspension.  If nothing is obviously broken up there and
the mounts for the sway bar at the front are okay, I wouldn't worry
about it.  Replacing the spring is doable but can be a moderate pain,
and a long afternoon unless you've done it before.

> - Is there a source for touch up paint other than the local auto
> body shop

Can't help here.  My paint isn't a Triumph color.  Autozone and
similar places cary lots of standard colors though.

> - Can't locate the "semi-circular" "Unleaded Fuel Only" decal
> below the filler cap.

The Roadster Factory had them some years ago.  They may still have
some in stock.  It was an item they had printed.

> - The chrome windshield surround has gaps up top and below that
> appear to be around 3" wide, the manuals indicate these parts to be
> 1", am I missing something?

Yeah, you are missing youth.  The plastic shrinks with age.  There is
no solution other than to replace the trim strip or remove it or
ignore it.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com