Re: Groucho Marx (was National Triumph Clubs)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Groucho Marx (was National Triumph Clubs)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:15:20 +0100
A little true story to titillate - based on some documentary research
I undertook some years ago.
In 1920(ish) William Morris (who was known to be a bit of a
hypochondriac) found imself in a state of exhaustion having made his
first millions out of World War 1. He was denied joining any of the
armed services and a letter that still survives gives the reason:

"Sir, you are more use to His Majesty in the prosecution of war in the
role of an industrialist, rather than that of a serving man."

To alleviate his stress, Morris' doctor suggested he take up a hobby
that denied him access to and divorced him from his business for a few
hours each week. Mrs Morris suggested he took up golf and suggested a
nearby club of prestige was the one to join. He applied in writing.
Some days later, he received a letter from the Club Secretary that
said (along these lines)

Dear Sir
I have passed your application to our Membership Committee for review
and I have to say its response is unanimous. It is of the view that
the presence of a mere motor trader among our members is not in the
best interests of the Club and your application to join has therefore
been declined
Yours etc

Morris was perhaps a little dumfounded and very annoyed. Some weeks
later he visited the club and asked for directions to the Secretary's
office. Having located it, he walked straight in and confronted the
Secretary who protested most strongly that he didn't see anyone
without an appointment and certainly no-one who failed to knock on the
door before enteriing. Morris listened and then allegedly said "you'll
have plenty of time to ensure your standards are maintained elsewhere.
In the meantime, this is now my office and you're out of a job. I've
just bought the club. You are free to leave as of now."

Jonmac