RE: National Triumph Owners Club

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: National Triumph Owners Club
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 07:20:17 -0700
Gerald Van Vlack wrote :

><snip>
> I didn't understand the comment about Groucho Marx. If it's
> suppose to refer to me personally,

Just to clarify, Dave Shoop quoted Woody Allen quoting "someone else".  The
someone else was Groucho Marx, who said "I wouldn't belong to any club that
would have me as a member" (or something like that).  No one was comparing
you to Groucho.

> I would encourage those clubs to become chartered chapters of a
> national organization however in support of those organizations
> efforts to organize yearly gatherings and in the case of VTR avail
> themselves of an excellent publication and all that
> comes with VTR Membership.

This is perhaps another area needing clarification.  Being a chapter of VTR
does not mean that local club members are automatically members of VTR, nor
that they receive copies of The Vintage Triumph.  This seemed odd to me at
first, but makes more sense now that I'm more familiar with the local club's
operation.

> When I spoke of special interest clubs I was referring to clubs that are
> organized for one model Triumph and exclusive of others.Speaking
> for myself
> and maybe others, I would enjoy hearing about the activities of
> the Spitfire,
> TR-3, TR-8 and 6 cylinder happenings but I'm not willing to pay
> memberships to
> all of those clubs for that enjoyment. Having one National Club
> would provide that exchange of news.

Ok, I misunderstood your original statement.  But, I still disagree.
Perhaps I can best illustrate my objections by asking you : How do you feel
about combining VTR with the other marque-specific clubs (like MG) ?  Seems
to me all the same arguments apply (except perhaps for your personal
interest in MGs <g>).

If your aim is only to get information printed in the The Vintage Triumph,
I'd like to suggest that there are better (and easier) ways to go about it.

Randall