RE: Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot. [LONG]

To: Glen Johnson <glen@littledevil.com.au>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot. [LONG]
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:37:42 -0700
> This morning I returned to the garage - pulled the choke out - turned
> the key (voltmeter reading a shade under 13V in the dash compared to the
> 12.2V the previous night) and she fired and ran very happily. NO EFFORT
> INVOLVED
>
> It has been suggested that the new motor is still of course rather tight
> and when hot the metals are expanded and the starter just cannot turn
> the motor over sufficiently to start it.
>
> It has also been suggested that my battery has insufficient cranking
> amps to do the warm/hot start.
>
> It is also possible the battery has just shat itself - but if this were
> the case I reckon trying to start with the jumper leads would have
> worked.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Glen, I'm thinking you've got several related problems.  Does the alternator
voltage come up to 13.5 or higher when you rev the engine up ?  If not,
you've likely got a duff alternator or possibly a bad battery (or both).
The 12.2 rising to almost 13.0 overnight suggests the battery, so I'd
probably try substituting it first.  Jumper leads frequently will not pass
enough current to start a problem engine if the target battery won't
contribute at least a little bit.

Another thing to try is cranking hot with the ignition disconnected, just to
be sure your problem isn't early ignition timing for some reason.

Also, it's not unusual for starters to work fine cold and not at all when
hot, try icing it down and see if that changes the problem.

Last, can you turn the engine by hand when it's hot ?

Randall