RE: Questions from a "first timer"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Questions from a "first timer"
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:42:44 -0700
> I am beginning to restore a '59 TR3A and have some questions
> (many). This is
> my first restoration.  I also have a '60 parts car. I am
> primarily restoring
> as a "driver"

Hi Eric, welcome to the club !

> I have been doing a lot of reading and wanted some reaction to:
>     Steering-pros and cons of converting to rack and pinion

IMO, the biggest 'con' is losing the original turn signal mechanism.  And of
course, cost and maintenance issues.  After rebuilding my original box, and
using synthetic gear oil for lubricant, I find the steering is plenty light
enough for me.  I literally steer with thumb and forefinger on the freeway.

>     Converting to an alternator instead of the original generator

Very sound modification IMO, especially if you plan driving in cold weather
or with lots of short trips.

>     Other modifications that members have found to be useful

I've made rather a long list of mods to my "daily driver" over the years,
including :
. TR6 wheels and wide 'sticky' tires
. anti-roll (sway) bars front & rear
. uprated bushings in front suspension (I've got the rear bushings, just
haven't put them in yet)
. Electric radiator fan
. Halogen/Xenon headlights, headlight relay
. high power brake and turn lights
. TR4-style brake light switch (the hydraulic ones never last very long for
me, perhaps because of the bright brake lights)
. Radiator recored with modern high efficiency core (no crank hole)

If you don't have overdrive, I definitely recommend one.  I plan to change
the rear end ratio to 3.45 (from 3.70) too.

>     Pros and Cons of having trim re-chromed or purchasing new

Rechroming doesn't always 'stick', it's important to find a shop that knows
how.  Good rechroming is also expensive, possibly even more than buying a
replacement part.  However, repro parts don't always have good chrome
either, and frequently are not exact replacements.  Thinner metal, shape not
quite right, etc.

>    Suggestions on where to have parts re-chromed

Check around for where the local Harley riders get their chrome done.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
71 Stag daily driver Real Soon Now LE1473L