Re: Monza exhaust

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Monza exhaust
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:19:54 +0100
One of the problems of this list is that parts offered in one part of
the world aren't immediately identifiable elsewhere. What exactly is a
Monza system? For the record can I beg some bandwidth to report on my
findings on exhaust bits sold in the UK by Moss and possibly Chris
Witor?
When my PI was nearing completion, the exhaust was one of the last to
be sorted. I wanted a full stainless unit, one where the pipe diameter
didn't vary from large to small and so opted for the full sports
system offered by Chris Witor.
This is a basic straight through system with only one silencer with an
in-built tailpipe resonator at the rearmost part and bolted up to the
standard cast iron manifold. It certainly gets rid of burnt gases
faster and makes a nice noise, though its tiring on a journey from the
continuous boom coming through the boot floor which acts rather like a
drum.
When I acquired the 2000 earlier this year, it already had the same
system fitted, though was the semi sports version with a small
expansion box mid mounted. Certainly its a lot quieter but that
distinctive growl is still there.
A month or so back, I was offered an extractor manifold (Moss UK?) - a
three pipe into one system in which the three pipes are fed by cyls 1
& 6, 2 & 5, 3 & 4. New, these set-ups are about $450. Certainly
provides optimum scavenging but before committing myself to an
expenditure it was hard to justify, I was able to fit it as a trial to
the 2000 because I wanted as much extra urge as I could obtain from
the standard engine. But even with the semi-sports system downline
from this bunch of bananas AND with a noticeable increase in available
power, the noise level increase was unacceptable and with a distinct
rasp and overrun crackle that wasn't there before. OK perhaps for a
sports car but not
exactly in keeping with a saloon that historically was always very
quiet. Weighing the pros and cons of increased power against
considerably increased noise, I reverted to the old cast iron manifold
and the saving in money was probably the balm that enabled the
decision. If any lister comes across one of these scavenging
manifolds, I can certainly support the claim made of them for improved
power - but the offset is considerable cost and no small amount of
extra noise (IMHO)

Jonmac