Re: Monza Exhaust Opinions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Monza Exhaust Opinions
From: "Jason Sukey" <jasonsmf@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:08:24 -0400
Cc: <JutH1685@aol.com>
I personally am not a big fan of the Monza setup for the GT6.  We are
running this setup on both of our GT6s currently.  The fit of this
system is very bad, unless you do a lot of cutting and welding it hangs
LOW!!  In car #1, with the 185/60 autox tires I cant even drive up the
gravel driveway without dragging (this is with a completely unloaded
car, no spare, little gas and 170 lb me.).  On the other GT, the P.O.
had the system installed and had it cut and welded so that it fits nice
and close to the car, that car has no problems with dragging.  As far as
design, this system flunks majorly!!!  The system works with the stock
mainpipe which is like 1 5/8 or so, goes through the first resonator,
then necks down to what cant be much more than 1 <  and from there
splits into two small pipes that exit at the four tips out back.  Why in
the world the system goes from a decent size for a stock or mild engined
GT6 down to such a restrictive pipe is beyond me!!!  As far as sound, I
do really like the sound, for a few miles that is.  I say way too loud
on the highway (let me remind you, Im a 21 year old kid, so Im
supposed to like loud cars), something about the closed cockpit and it
seems to resonate like mad, after a 4 hour drive to Roadster Factory Im
about deaf!!  For comparison, we are also running a Monza setup on our
72 Tr6 and I love that setup, beautiful sound, good (not great) design,
nice looks, fits well, and it isnt overly loud on the highway to me
(Others may feel otherwise about this).  Personally, if I had to put a
new exhaust on one of the GT6s now, Id look other places than Monza,
but thats just my opinion.
Happy Motoring,

Jason Sukey
Grafton, Oh