RE: TR3 Ignition/switch electric problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Ignition/switch electric problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:50:44 -0700
> I just replaced the center gauge panel on my 3A with a new one.
> After re-installing the switches, I tried to test it to make sure
> all was in good order before dealing with the wing nuts. I had to
> rewire the lead from the ignition switch to the starter, which
> was rather short and "old" and came apart when I took the panel off.
>
> I turn the key and heard a short from the back. Since then I
> can't get anything to "power" up. I checked the fuses, and all
> the wiring seems to be in place. Any thoughts on what I fried?

Do the head/tail lights work ?  If so, but nothing controlled by the key
does, then the ignition switch is a definite possibility.  If the lights
don't work either, then I'd suspect something around the ammeter.

> How sensitive is the ignition switch? I have the 3 wires wrapped
> together and stuffed into the threaded slot with the screw
> tightened as much as I can. Do these switches go bad? That is the
> only "re-wiring" I did.

They're pretty rugged, but can definitely fail, especially if you try to run
more current through them than original.  I use a relay to control my added
loads.

One other thing to watch for, if a strand of wire gets jammed in the
threads, it can keep the screw from bottoming tightly against the wires.
When that one strand burns through, you may be left with no connection even
though the wires appear to be trapped.

Randall