RE: Rear end vibration

To: "'triumphs list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear end vibration
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:50:44 -0700
> I was having a similar small vibration and was informed that my
> driveshaft was out-of-synch.  I can't find the words to properly explain
> so maybe some others can help me out a bit, but basically it means that
> part of the driveshaft was disconnected and was reconnected without
> ensuring that everything was lined up correctly.

What this means is that the U-joint yokes on each end of the driveshaft have
to be in the same plane, or it causes a vibration.

When a single U-joint works "around a corner", the effective pivot point
moves slightly as the spider turns, with the result that it does not
transmit motion evenly.  But, by pairing two of them in the same plane (and
working through the same angle), the variations cancel, and the overall
motion is smooth.  The driveshaft does jerk a little bit as it turns, but
not enough to cause problems.  However, if the splines are reassembled with
the joints out of phase, then the uneven motions add instead of canceling,
and the vibration becomes noticeable.

Randall