Re: My TR4 is falling apart

To: gimmeagig@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My TR4 is falling apart
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:17:26 EDT
5 years on a repaired rad isn't bad.  As the rad pressure cycles end tanks
and tubes expand and contract.  The flexes the brass and causes localized
hardening that results in cracking.  The only long term solution is a new or
less used rad.

I have a rad for a power unit ( 1.6L Kent 4 cyl, Brit content) that is
corrosion free but has 12 or more cracks on the top tank, rad shop says not
worth fixing. I might fix it with plumbing solder anyway since the target
application is a back up generator and heat cycles would be limited to a few
per year.

For the short term, JB weld or similar high temp epoxy ( usually gray) is a
good choice.  GM recommends epoxy repair for alunimum rads, might be worth a
trip to the parts counter.  I suspect the home center store epoxy won't have
the temprature rating needed for a cooling system, check the label.

Harold