TR6 Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Wheel Bearings
From: "James J. Buck" <buckaroo36@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:28:14 -0700
Randall/Graham: OK, those are some interesting comments on the bearings.
    I will try a new front outside wheel bearing with the same 10 lb
torque, greasing the bearing and lathering some grease in the hub but not
a lot. Will also double-check to ensure the bearing race is properly
seated.
    The felt pad grease seal was replaced when I installed the bearing
and did not show any signs of wear or being torn at all--even though the
outside of the bearing had significant wear spots after only one week. I
would have expected that if the wheel had too much play on the spindle,
the felt pad would have been  damaged.
    FYI, when I installed those bearings and put the road wheels back on,
as a test, I gripped the tire/wheel and tried to shake it to detect any
excess play (while the car was still on jack stands). There was a very
slight almost imperceptible bit of movement on the spindle. Based on your
comments about clearance, this may be normal. It does seem to me,
however, that any sort of play would only lead to increased bearing
wear--unless of course there is expansion at speed. Maybe next time I'll
check the wheel for play immediately after being on the road.
    Let's see what happens with a new set of bearings ...

Jim Buck
74 1/2 TR6, CF29044UO, El Sobrante, CA