TR6 Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Wheel Bearings
From: "James J. Buck" <buckaroo36@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:32:08 -0700
This is my first posting to the list. I've enjoyed reading some of the
comments and have save quite a few of the emails for future reference.
Now it's my turn for a question.
    Last week I replaced the front wheel bearings on my '74 TR6 and
followed the instructions in the Haynes manual. I replaced the hub,
tightened to 10 lbs torque, and then back off the nut a bit to insert the
cotter pin, all according to their instructions.
    Felt some low level vibration while driving yesterday and have since
removed the wheel and examined the driver's side bearings once again.
Turns out there were fine metal shavings in the grease cap. Upon close
examination of the outer bearing, there was significant wear spots on the
inner side of the bearing case. I have since ordered another outside
bearing for the car.
    My questions for the group are: Could it be that I did not tighten
the hub nut sufficiently? Is 10 lbs of torque too light? I haven't
replaced front wheel bearings before, but it seems to me that the damage
to the bearing was caused by too much play resulting from insufficient
torque. A possible clue: I had wheel bearing grease on the inner side of
the brake rotor--suggesting there was not a tight fit to the stub axle at
the rear of the hub and allowing grease to seep out.
    A related question: Should I fill the entire cavity in the wheel hub
with grease? Is it possible to over-grease the hub?
    Would appreciate your comments.

Jim Buck
74 1/2 TR6 CF29044UO, El Sobrante, CA