Re: TR6 Wheel Bearings

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheel Bearings
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:05:40 +0100
Hi James
Welcome to the list.
The bearings could have been too loose, but also the race may not have been
seated properly, giving an uneven contact area. I usually tighten my wheel
bearings to 10Lb Ft then fit the split pin, only slackening enough to get
the pin in not to cause the 0.002 inch freeplay required. I have found this
not to be detrimental to the bearings so far and is also beneficial to the
stub axle as the inner bearing does not seem to be hammering the bottom of
the stub axle.
I used to believe the freeplay was to allow for expansion, but then it is
all steel an will have a similar expansion rate once heat soaked on a long
run, so I concluded (right wrong) that it was designed to increase spares
turnover!
The second part of your question was gone over a while back, and the answer
is yes you can over fill the hub, about half full should do the job.
As for the grease on the disc / rotor, you have a felt seal to retain the
grease, did you replace this when you did the bearings?

Graham.