SU HS6 questions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU HS6 questions
From: January Williams <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:43:09 -0700
Some questions about my carbs - late TR4A has HS6s. Oddly, none of the
manuals I have including the original or reprint shop manuals have any specs
/ tuneup info on this model.  Finally I found drawings in the Moss catalog.
I guess I need to get a separate manual like Haynes SU.
They are pretty dirty, I clean them up and put them back together. Back
one's jet is up flush to the table, and when I start it up, the back carb is
not functioning at all, that is, the piston doesn't move up to allow any air
in. Then I notice the throttle shaft's cluster (called "lever" in the
catalog drawing which has the screw adjuster for idle and the "lost motion"
lever is WAY out of sync with the other side, the front carb's setup. I
don't see separate items for front and rear throttle shaft, and it looks
like it has a key, so my question is: Is it possible that the DPO has
somehow cranked or bent the throttle end so the adjustment for idle (and the
fast idle cam) is off the map? Shouldn't both the throttle shaft gizmos be
symetrical at rest?
I went ahead with the jet routine, set them both flush to the table, down 2
turns. I jigged the back one to hold the throttle open just a spaghetti
width open, because I reasoned that there has to be SOME opening for the
carb to work and the car to run. Yes, the idling has been rough, but slow,
about 600 rpms. This made a huge difference in the performance of the car, a
lot more pep, and pretty smooth beyond 1600 rpms, but still rough at idle
(the whole car shakes. BTW, the back plugs were both heavily shadowed, white
on one side, with all the light tan crust on the other side, like night and
day.
Should I do the whole Moss rebuild kit on them?

January
66 TR4A CTC74217LO

PS I'm following the ride height thread with some interest, but I can't
really help; my car rides frame to ground 5" on driver's side and 6" on
rider side. I suppose the DPO put the front springs on one side, and the
rears on the other. I bought some "uprated" springs from a lister a while
back but I haven't got them on the car yet. I've also got my OD transmission
back rebuilt by Portland club member Ray Marty, but I haven't got it back in
yet, waiting for the rainy off-road season for that.