Re: It Runs, It Leaks.

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It Runs, It Leaks.
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:50:42 +0100
Hi Scott
Be very wary with the silicone, one lump of that can screw the engine in
seconds, and silicone unlike most other sealants does not disperse, it stays
in lumps of strings or whatever shape squeezes out. I much prefer Blue
Hylomar for this type of job, less risk IMHO.

Secondly, in my experience it is more likely the front sealing block leaking
than the front plate. Both these leaks will be very close together, and real
detailed analysis is needed to determine one or the other. Have you done a
complete rebuild of the engine, or has it just been idle? If rebuilt, did
you soak the wooden sealing blocks in oil before installing, if not I would
wait a week and see if it seals as the wood swells.

To test the temperature gauge, short the terminal for the sender to the
housing for a few seconds, if the gauge reads full scale deflection, it is
working and likely to be the sender at fault.

The ignition switch does sound faulty, I had one of a similar type (in my
2000) fail a couple of weeks ago, started the car and the starter continued
running until I switched the ignition off, turned the key to the run
position (one click clockwise) and it started, turned the key to the aux
position (one click counter clockwise) and it started. swapped the switch
and all is well!

Graham.