TR250 cam/TR250 Tappets Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR250 cam/TR250 Tappets Questions
From: AKATR5@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:49:51 EDT
Greetings all,
I just spent yesterday helping a friend pull the head off his TR250.  His car
had lost compression on its #3 cylinder and looks like it was due to valve
seat recession.  After we got the head off I pulled out a tappet to check it
out and found it pitted.  Upon further inspection approximately 9 out of the
12 tappets were pitted to varying degrees and we could see some of the cam
lobes also had pitting so we had to pull the cam out too.  The cam shaft and
tappets only had approximately 30,000 miles on them which makes me wonder why
they failed so soon.  This is the second set of tappets and cam shaft that my
friend has put in his engine since the complete frame off/nut and bolt
restoration of his TR250 (the first cam shaft and tappet set died after
10,000 miles). Has anybody had experiences like this?  Any recommendations on
where to buy some "high quality" tappets???

Jan Dawson
1968 TR250 for better or worse for over 17 years now
Corona, CA