Re: Check your Heritage Cert

To: <TeamTiger21@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Check your Heritage Cert
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:05:02 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
    jonmac, that is my guess also. While I was on the phone, she pulled out
the microfilm to check it again. She confirmed the difficulty in reading it,
but said all it had was "5.50 wire wheels". I am receiving emails from list
members that say their certificate has a wheel line and a tire line. I have no
tire line.

    I suspect this is because the format of the tally changed in size, shape
and content from 1959 onwards. Up to that time, it was rather more 'informal'
in its layout and was hand-typed, whereas later versions from 1959 were
computer generated  and maximised the amount of info. I think if listers could
see the variations in early post-war documentation used by 12 manufactuers
within BMIHT's remit and archive base, they'd soon realise the certificate
itself is worth te money for the sheer puzzling of the data they contain  and
the manner in which it's presented. Each mftr used different criteria  and
getting that detail into a consistent format as laid down for the cert can
sometimes be tedious  and always demands considerable skill and awareness of
what the data means.
    Jonmac