RE: TR3A in Argentina

To: Fernando Sánchez Zinny <fsz@redsa.com.ar>, "'triumphs@Autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A in Argentina
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:14 -0700
Fernando Sanchez wrote :
> I'm a new lister and have been reading enjoying and filing every usefull
> information from you all.

Welcome to the list !

> There is a
> tappet (?) noise
> and a noc-noc with the engine cold that disappears after 2 or 3 minutes of
> warming-up. Oil consumption as usual and engine still very
> energic.

Fernando, you didn't say how your oil pressure was doing (especially at hot
idle).  If your pressure is way down at hot idle, like under 20 psi, I would
guess your noise is worn rod bearings.  The rod (and main) bearings can be
fairly easily changed with the engine still in the car (and in fact the
Haynes service manual suggests doing so every 30,000 miles as preventative
maintenance).  Of course, check the journal diameters (either with a
micrometer or with Plasti-gage in the new bearings), if the journals are
worn undersize then the engine has to come out to have the crank ground.

If the oil pressure is OK (or changing the bearings doesn't help the noise),
then I would guess the noise is piston slap.  New pistons and possibly
liners would be the cure.

> What do
> you suggest me to do, a complete rebuild or a case by case
> repair.

To my way of thinking, if the engine has to come out, do a complete rebuild.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
71 Stag daily driver Real Soon Now LE1473L