RE: Hot running Spit (Long - again)

To: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hot running Spit (Long - again)
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:32:52 -0500
I would still suspect the head/head gasket.  I have had same problems in
Triumph as well as other engines.  Just because the oil and water appear
clean and without the other present, it doesn't mean the compression is not
blowing out the water.  I hope (for you) that it is the rad cap, but I kinda
doubt it.

The leak may only appear at full warm.  (leak opens up when the metal
expands)  Here's what to do.  Take the cap off.  Warm up the car (you will
overflow some coolant, so don't do it in the garage).  Now, with the cap off
and the car sorta warmed up, reach over to the carb linkage and rev the
motor (gently at first!)  While you are doing this, look in the radiator.
Do you see any bubbles??  (It may spray, so don't look *too* closely, be
prepared!)  If so, it is likely a blown head gasket or a cracked head.
Bubbles are a bad sign.

Where you at Stef?  If you are close enough, I'll gladly give you a hand
looking for the problem.

Bill
Anderson, IN