RE: Wiring my TR3A

Subject: RE: Wiring my TR3A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:31:49 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> >It's up to you of course, but now might be a good time to
> consider adding a
> >fuse to the headlight circuit.  Those switches can get expen$ive,
> >especially
> >if you have an intermittent short as I did for several years.
> >
> I ACTUALLY FOUND AN IN-LINE FUSE WIRE IN MY BOX OF PARTS.  WILL
> WIRE IT INTO
> THE CIRCUIT (THAT WOULD BE TO A RED WIRE BETWEEN THE IGNITION AND
> THE LIGHT
> SWITCH, RIGHT?)

Well, no.  There shouldn't be a red wire between the ignition and the light
switch; and normally the ignition switch gets it's power from the light
switch so a fuse between the two would protect the ignition circuit, not the
light circuit.

> BECAUSE I SWITCHED TO NEG GRD, I REVERSED THE WIRING ON THE AMP
> GAUGE.  WHEN
> I GOT THE +30, I SWITCHED THE WIRES AND GOT A -30.  LIKED THE +30
> BETTER, SO
> I PUT THE WIRES BACK TO ORIGINAL TERMINALS.

Perhaps I should be clearer.  Neither a +30 nor a -30 reading is normal all
the time.  You must have a short somewhere that is drawing large amounts of
current.  This is also likely why your battery ran down.

The generator is only capable of putting out 20 amps or so (19 for the
original, 21 for a common replacement), so a +30 reading is normally
impossible.

Randall