RE: Wiring my TR3A

To: "David Dressel" <daviddressel@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Wiring my TR3A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:53:16 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Dressel wrote :

> >From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>

(Note : when replying to the list, it's polite to trim out as much as
possible without losing reference)

> >I hope you noticed the tie point on the backside of the panel for all the
> >grounds.
>
> NOPE.  THIS IS INTRIGING.  WHERE IS IT?

Next to the turn signal indicator, above the dash lamp for the ammeter and
fuel gage.

>  ALSO, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE
> THING UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN IS THAT LOOKS LIKE A FLASHLIGHT HOLDER?

Sorry, you've got me there.  There is a rather interesting looking bracket
that helps support the steering column and dash, sort of a trapezoid with
three big holes punched in it (for lightening AFAIK), but I can't think of
anything else.

> There should then be a wire from it to the E terminal on the
> >control box, and another wire from E to the body (as shown on the wiring
> >diagram).
>
> THIS "CONTROL BOX" IS THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR, RIGHT?

Yes, although the same box also contains the cutout relay.

> There should also be a ground wire to one of the studs on the
> >fuel gage.
>
> WIRING DIAGRAM DOESN'T SHOW THAT.  WILL ADD IT, TOMORROW.  MAKE ANY
> DIFFERENCE WHERE IT GOES, AS LONG AS IT IS TO A CHASSIS GROUND?

No, but the original configuration was to the ground terminal on the panel.

> >Amen.  At this point, I'm pretty sure either your headlight
> switch is shot
> >(they're easy to burn up, basically serving as the fuse for the
> headlights)
> >or it's not getting power somehow.
>
> WELL, THAT WOULD ALSO ACCOUNT FOR THE PANEL AND THE FOG LAMPS NOT
> WORKING.
> HOW ABOUT I HOT-WIRE ACROSS THE HEADLAMP SWITCH?

That would work, to eliminate the switch as the problem, but don't forget
there are no fuses in this circuit.  If your hot-wire touches ground, or
there's a short in the head/tail lamp circuits, the results may not be
pleasant.

> I'd suggest starting at
> >the control box, just because it's easier to get to.  Connect the lamp or
> >meter between ground and the A1 terminal, it should light/indicate 12
> >volts.
> >Then behind the dash, do the same test from the headlight switch
> to ground.
>
> MY DIAGRAM DOES NOT A GROUND TO THE HEADLAMP SWITCH UNLESS THAT IS THE A1
> TERMINAL ON THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR.

That's correct, there are no grounds to the headlamp switch.  However, to
check for power here, you need to find a ground to connect your meter or
test lamp to.

> THANKS AGAIN.  I'LL KEEP PLUGGING AWAY AT IT.  OR, I MIGHT SEND IT TO YOU
> VIA FED EX.

Well, the local club is always looking for "tech sessions" ...

Randall