RE: Wiring my TR3A

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: RE: Wiring my TR3A
From: "David Dressel" <daviddressel@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:20:09 -0500 FILETIME=[BA14D390:01C24163]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall:

OK, I'm done joy riding for a while, so I took the seats out of the car
(can't maneuver under the dash with them in there) and did my electronics
homework.  See below..

>From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
>To: "David Dressel" <daviddressel@hotmail.com>
>CC: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: Wiring my TR3A
>Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:03:28 -0700
>
>David Dressel wrote :
>
> > GOT UNDER THE DASH AND GROUNDED ALL LIGHTS (FLASHER AND IGNITION LIGHT
> > ONE WIRE, INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS TO ANOTHER, AND TACH AND SPEEDO TO A
> > THIRD.
>
>There should also be a ground wire to one of the studs on the
>fuel gage.  However, the ignition lamp should not be grounded.  One side of
>it goes to the ignition switch, the other goes to the 'D' terminal on the
>control box/voltage regulator.

Removed ground from ignition lamp and moved it to the fuel gauge.  Now fuel
gauge works better but ignition lamp doesn't work at all.  Kind of miss that
green light.

>Amen.  At this point, I'm pretty sure either your headlight switch is shot
>(they're easy to burn up, basically serving as the fuse for the headlights)
>or it's not getting power somehow.  Time to get out either a voltmeter or a
>test lamp ($4 at HF) and do some detective work.  I'd suggest starting at
>the control box, just because it's easier to get to.  Connect the lamp or
>meter between ground and the A1 terminal, it should light/indicate 12
>volts.

Did this, and all was well.

>Then behind the dash, do the same test from the headlight switch to ground.
>With the switch pulled out to the second position (headlights on), you
>should find power on all three terminals.  If you find power on no
>terminals, the wire to A1 is broken/disconnected.  If you find power on
>only
>one or two terminals, the switch is bad.

Shot craps here.  Only got a light on one terminal.  Guess I'll order a new
switch.  Probably only switch for which I have no spare.

BTW:  My ammeter always (when ignition is on) is pegged at the + side.  I do
have a monster battery in the car (biggest that would fit in the batt box),
but this seems weird.  No matter how I drive, same thing.  Should this gauge
be grounded?  Also, my speedo needle looks like the stem on a metronome.  I
have two cables - one very long (not using it because it is for the
overdrive that I did not reinstall) and the one that I am using that screws
into the trans.

Well, you got me a long way towards home.  After I get my new light switch,
I'll do some more exploration (hope I don't have to).

Dave

PS:  You know that pair of brackets that I was telling you about behind the
dash and connected to the back of the brake and clutch master cylinders?
Well, it DOES hold a 10" Mag-Lite very well.  Going to use it that way,
too;-)

David Dressel
Champaign, IL USA
'67 Jaguar Mk2 3.4 Auto