Re: motor rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: motor rebuild
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:04:32 EDT
Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com writes:

> Jack-
>         you didn't mention the model- .....   TR3/4 ? if so, you can pull
> the oilpan off and exchange the conn rod bearings and oil pump.   That,
> with the use of some 20W-50 should bring back a little life provided the
> motor isn't hammering itself to bits already.   And I've got some serious
> doubts that cam wear would render the valves difficult to adjust... unless
> perhaps the cam bearings are so toasted that the cam is wandering
> around....   but lobe wear generally only affects the amount of valve
> lift, not the clearance you adjust with the valves closed.
>         If your crank is not badly scored  I'll bet you can resolve the
> oil pressure problems for less than $200,  and do the whole job in a
> weekend.   I'd get another opinion on the cam wear issue.  I think your
> present mech needs to make another payment on his boat.....
> good luck,
>         Bob Westerdale
>         59 3A TS36967
>

> "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
> Sent by: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
> 08/06/02 09:48 PM
> Please respond to "jack williams"
>

>         To:     "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        motor rebuild
>

> My litlle car is still running hot after doing everything I have been
> told.
> This causes the oil pressure to drop and that worries me. Also, the last
> time
> I had it in the shop, I was told that the cam was worn enough that they
> couldn't really get the valves adjusted properly. I'm thinking it might be
> time for a complete rebuild. What do you wise ones think? compression is
> good,
> but I'm sure the bearings are worn as the oil pressure drops to below 15
> lbs
> when I'm at idle, and runs only a bit over 50lbs when running down the
> highway.
>
> If I am looking at a rebuild, what kind of money am I looking at? I'm a
> pretty
> good mechanic, but don't have the space to do a proper job so I would
> rather
> have it done. Besides, if I have it done, then I'll get it back sooner and
> get
> to drive it, which is what I bought it for.
>
> Jack W.

Jack:

I had similar oil pressure symptoms. It was not the bearings. A small piece
of metal had lodged next to the ball in the oil pressure relief valve most
likely preventing the ball from seating properly. After it came out my oil
pressure was around 40 at idle and 75-80 at speed when hot. Also if you have
the spin on filter some have reported better results obtained by using a
filter other than Fram.

Ray
59 TR3A