glowing iggy light?

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: glowing iggy light?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:02:35 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jim Muller"
>So this evening I'm shuttling cars around, okay?  In the twilight I
noticed that the ignition light on the Spitfire is glowing slightly.
As I rev the engine, the light dims but doesn't go out.  I haven't
driven the Spitfire much at night lately so I've never noticed it
before, but it hasn't always been this way.

The alternator is a few years old but this sounds like a leak diode,
no?  Recommendations?
<

Jim, I wouldn't worry about a dim glow from that light.  It means that the
supply voltage to the voltage regulator is slightly different than the
battery voltage.  It could be a slight mismatch in diodes, or it cuold mean
there is a pretty good load on the alternator causing the main output
diodes to have more drop causing this, or it could be the voltage drop
along the main wire to the battery is causing it.  But the real questions
are: is the alternator keeping the battery charged and is it getting worse?
 If the answers are Yes and No, then don't worry about it.

You might want to check the battery voltage with a volt meter at various
conditions such as: everything off, everything on engine off, everything
off, engine on and everything on engine on.  If voltages are not too low or
too high, then ignore it.  I've been ignoring mine for two years now.

Cheers

Dave