Progress Report

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, Eric S Hanson <merlin42@erols.com>
Subject: Progress Report
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 00:20:04 -0400
It should happen THIS WEEK! As I have the week off, I should be driving my
Herald by Friday...

At this point, the boot is finished, save for the fuel tank and the jack strap.
Everything else is in place, and proper. (I had a problem with my new boot
hinges, one was poorly threaded, and the stud ripped out when I tightened the
nut. I will contact the supplier tomorrow, and am sure I will get satisfaction
through them. They are good.)  The bootlid opened and secures nicely.

The riser is covered, and the rear carpet is in place. I have the driver seat
in place, but not yet the passenger's. (Is there a difference between saloon
and convertible seats? My seats consistently hit the "B" post when all the way
back, ands they seem a little "off", as if too far outboard of proper position.)

The doors now close and latch, unlatch and open properly, for the first time
since I've owned the car. A good "whump" closes them, as there is still
resistance from the door seals. All latching issues are correct.

She is on her own 4 wheels, awaiting the powerplant and transmission, as well
as the driveshaft, to be installed tomorrow or Thursday. (I'm away Wednesday.)
Most trim is in place- just a few more pieces to polish. (Keep burning my
fingers- hot metal!)

The windshield is in. Looks good! I couldn't polish the metal trim well enough
for me, but it looks great none the less. I don't see why people get so upset
over it- a little silicone sealer around the glass, under the rubber, set the
trim in, flip, silicone along inside the lip, and add rope. The old "Indian
rope trick" as described in the manual worked like a charm! Good tip- Use about
1/4" nylon rope. Good size, easy pull, smooth. Only a little tight in the
corners. Took all of about 15 minutes.

The heater is in place, and ready for connections. As a precaution, I ran the
radiator and heater core over to the radiator shop today for a leak check. Both
good and healthy, no leaks.

 Next up, hood frame painting and installation. Yee Ha.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible
(I decided to drop the "Sports" designation as that came later...)