hot hot hot

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: hot hot hot
From: "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:39:07 -0500
Okay folks, last year during the summer, my '76 TR6 never climbed hotter
than the halfway mark. This year it gets al the way to the 3/4 mark. It is
unbearable for anyone to ride on the passenger side and the carpet nest to
the transmission tunnel gets terribly hot. When it gets this hot it also
stumbles a bit and I wnder if it is due to the gas boiling in the bowls or
something. I have checked the waterpump to see if it is flowing well and it
appears to be. I have never seen a thermostat "kinda" fail, they have always
worked or not for me. I have flushed the system and put a 50/50 mix in.

So, can a thermostat get to where it only opens part of the way?

Any good ideas that have worked well to insulate the passenger side against
the heat? (the driver's side is hot but not as hot as the passenger side)

Has anyone tried that chrome backed insulation that I have seen in Whitney
and the Moss catalog? Does it help?

The transmission has been serviced regularly, and its levels are fine. Could
a transmission problem be causing this heat? Should I worry about damage
from this heat to the transmission?

I must do something, SWMBO is not happy and that makes it hard to get her
out in the car, or even sympathetic to buying new toys for it.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Jack Williams