RE: hot hot hot

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: hot hot hot
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:03:23 -0700
> So, can a thermostat get to where it only opens part of the way?

Yes, it's happened to me (although not on a Triumph).  Thermostats are also
cheap and easy to replace.

> Has anyone tried that chrome backed insulation that I have seen in Whitney
> and the Moss catalog? Does it help?

I'm not sure exactly what they are selling, but I've used something similar
over the trans tunnel in my TR3A.  Heavy gauge aluminum (not chrome but
shiny) foil, with what appears to be nylon mesh reinforcement and approx
3/8" of synthetic felt.  My local Home Depot sells the same stuff as water
heater insulation.  It made a tremendous difference, now I can keep my hand
on the tunnel carpet even driving in 100+ heat.  I plan to install it on the
floors and firewall too.

> The transmission has been serviced regularly, and its levels are
> fine. Could
> a transmission problem be causing this heat? Should I worry about damage
> from this heat to the transmission?

IMO both are unlikely.

I would be looking for anything that impedes airflow through the engine
compartment (eg grille badges or fog lamps), and any hole however small that
allows air from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment.  If
your car is supposed to have a radiator shroud, make sure it's in good
shape.  If memory serves, a TR6 should also have a 'chin' spoiler that helps
air flow through the radiator and engine compartment.  Engine state of tune,
especially valve and ignition timing, and dragging brakes are some other
things to check.

Randall