Re: Wire Wheels (new list member)

To: <TeamTiger21@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels (new list member)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 00:49:47 -0500
From: <TeamTiger21@aol.com>

> Received my Heritage Trust certificate and was surprised to see that my
1956
> TR 3

Barry!  I remember you as a national-champion Tiger autocrosser, a former
Twin Citian, and a helluva nice guy, but I didn't know you had a classic
Triumph.  You should have brought the TR3 up here to VTR2002 and given us
all an autocross lesson!  See the results on http://www.vtr2002.org

> came from the factory with 5.5" wire wheels.

I'd be surprised at a wheel that wide from the factory on that early a car.
4" would be my guess.

> I would like to return the
> car to wires and have done a little research on wheel availability. Before
> move ahead I would like to get some insight from anyone who has this
option
> stock or has made the conversion. My basic questions are:
>
> Were these 60 or 72 spoke painted wheels?

Certainly not the 72.  I don't think that the 60 was optional in 1956, but
do not trust me on that, as I am not a TR3 expert.  My belief is that the
wire wheel that came with the 1956 TR2 would be the 48-spoke Dunlop, painted
silver, with a 4-inch-wide rim.

> Are there any clearance problems with certain size tires?

I don't know.

> What tire sizes have been successful?

I'd expect 155-15 would be a proper-size tire and 165-15 would fit OK.

Our 1962 TR4 came to us with the original 48-spoke 4" wheels and assorted
155-15 tires.  Since the 60-spoke 4.5" wheel were apparently optional on
this car, I put on new Dayton wheels in that specification.  I put on 165-15
tires.

> Is there significant error for the speedo with this set up?

My TR4 was bang on the tach reading versus freeway mile markers wit the
155-15 tires.  The speedo bounces a bit, the bottom of the bounce range
essentially correct.

> Suggested sources of wheels, hubs, etc.?

I bought the all-machined hubs from TRF.  Slow delivery, very nice parts,
good price on sale.

I bought Dayton wheels from TRF on the Winter Sale.  150 bucks a copy.

Whether you go for original 48s or choose the 60s or even the 72-spoke
5.5"(?), I suggest the Dayton wheels made in (where else) Dayton Ohio.  They
look just like the Dunlops, but are reputed to be much stronger and do not
require re-truing.  The Dayton guy told me the painted wheels are
stronger/stiffer than the chrome ones because the stainless wires cannot be
strung as tight as the painted steel spokes.

I'd suggest that you buy my 48-spoke wheels for the patina of age, but I
wouldn't suggest that you actually drive them hard without a complete
rebuild.  Of course, then you might as well just buy the Daytons...

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org